Preferences

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Tue May 13 10:30:38 CDT 2003

Chris Lyttle schrieb:
> On Mon, 2003-05-12 at 14:05, Terry Boldt wrote:
>
>>I reread Derek Atkins' reply to my email and another statement stood out for
>>me:
>>
>>>In general, preferences are bad.  The fact remains that there is
>>>already a way to do what you want; the fact you don't like it is
>>>reegrettable.
>>
>>I had always considered it exactly the opposite, that "preferences" are highly
>>desirable. Without preferences, the user is "stuck" with doing everything
>>exactly the way that the developer says things should be done. Now that
>>assumes that the developer knows absolutely the best way to do things for
>>absolutely every user.

Gee. This is almost the GNOME vs. KDE discussion, where the GNOME guys
lean hard on the side "preference are always bad" and the KDE guys push
towards "preferences are always good". Can we please not have that
childish discussion here? Of course there are cases where preferences
are good, and other cases where preferences are bad, both inside the
same project.

I understood Derek rather in the sense that "creating a preference for a
disputed feature shouldn't be used as an easy way out of a discussion".
In that particular discussion, *you* are the first user who has been
asking for changing gnucash's behaviour here. *All* of the developers
obviously are happy with the behaviour as it is (cause otherwise one of
them would've already brought up that issue -- for example, for me it is
totally ok that if I manually enter a different date for reconciling I
also manually enter the statement's balance). This means so far you are
the only one who is asking for a change. If you want to see some change
here, you would need to continue the discussion with convincing
arguments, so that eventually you convince at least some more users
and/or developers to see the need for a different behaviour -- which
then might be implemented as a preference. A preference would then be
added because we got convinced it is what users ask for. But we will not
simply add preferences to easily get out of any controversial discussion
-- that was the whole point.

Christian