gnucash mailing list server - move to Sourceforge?

Jeffrey C. Ollie jeff at ollie.clive.ia.us
Sun May 18 22:27:51 CDT 2003

On Sun, 2003-05-18 at 19:44, TomF wrote:
> In the #gnucash chat session, I asked if we should move the mailing
> list server to Sourceforge, and was told that this question had already
> been discussed in gnucash-devel.  When I couldn't find the discussion,
> benoitg opined that the discussion was in #gnucash, so we have no record
> of it.
>
> This note is to re-open the discussion so we'll have a record of the
> arguments for and against.  I'll start with arguments for the move.
>
> 1. The gnucash mailing list server is frequently down, but I have never
> seen a case when libofx-devel at lists.sourceforge.net was down.

What about fixing the problem with the GnuCash mailing list server?  Why
is it down so frequently?

> 2. The sourceforge list archives are organized and searchable; to search
> the gnucash lists, you have to download (a problem when the server is
> down) and search the local copies.

I don't want to disparage the efforts of those that wrote the
archiving/indexing code for the mailing lists on sourceforge, but I hate
their email archive web interface.  Actually, I hate nearly every email
archive web interface that I've seen.  The only one that I really care
for is the one on Google Groups.  Figure out a way to get the GnuCash
mailing lists archived by Google Groups and I'll be happy.

Anyway, for serious searching, I'd much rather download the .mbox file
that MailMan normally provides and import it into my mail program so
that I can search there.  The sourceforce mail archive doesn't provide a
way to download the whole archive.

Jeff