About to commit a change that will create CRITICAL warnings

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon May 19 12:51:14 CDT 2003

Hi,

I'm about to commit a patch to CVS HEAD to add a new feature, a
general Query Display Dialog.  You supply it a Query*, a param_list
(column selector), and a bunch of ancillary data and it will pop up a
dialog and display the supplied columns of the results of the Query.
In particular I'm using this to display Bills Due, but we could use
this dialog to display other information as well.

The problem was that if the dialog was still open and you went to
"File -> Open Recent" and opened a new file, gnucash would crash.  The
reason is that the Book "destroy" event is getting lost (because you
lose all events when events are suspended), so when I'm told to
refresh, I start refreshing into an invalid book.

I've already added an API to allow you to forcibly generate an event
(even if events are suspended).  This patch changes the gnc-book code
to use this new API.  While this solves my crash, it does introduce
another annoyance.  Gnucash generates a bunch of critical messages:

** CRITICAL **: file gnc-component-manager.c: line 271 (gnc_cm_event_handler): assertion `id_type' failed.

The real underlying problem is that the event subsystem is BROKEN.
See my next mail for more discussion on this topic.

Anyways, I just wanted to warn everyone running HEAD that you should
expect to see this next time you update.