gnucash mailing list server - move to Sourceforge?

Linas Vepstas linas at linas.org
Mon May 19 17:01:24 CDT 2003

On Sun, May 18, 2003 at 09:27:51PM -0500, Jeffrey C. Ollie was heard to remark:
> On Sun, 2003-05-18 at 19:44, TomF wrote:
> > In the #gnucash chat session, I asked if we should move the mailing
> > list server to Sourceforge, and was told that this question had already
> > been discussed in gnucash-devel.  When I couldn't find the discussion,
> > benoitg opined that the discussion was in #gnucash, so we have no record
> > of it.
> >
> > This note is to re-open the discussion so we'll have a record of the
> > arguments for and against.  I'll start with arguments for the move.
> >
> > 1. The gnucash mailing list server is frequently down, but I have never
> > seen a case when libofx-devel at lists.sourceforge.net was down.

I use sourceforge on and off, and thier uptime/availability stats
are pretty miserable.  For example, why, this very morning!
Flip-side, when they are down, they are usually back up within hours,
which is better than what I can do.

> is it down so frequently?

This last weekend's problem was that the mailman qrunner had died, and
nothing else inside of mailman noticed this; there's no cron job or
anything that tries to restart mailman.  (I'm adding that cron job when
I finish this email).

> > 2. The sourceforge list archives are organized and searchable; to search
> > the gnucash lists, you have to download (a problem when the server is
> > down) and search the local copies.

Sorry, I didn't realize gnucash search is borken (again).  I'll look at
it.  Sigh.

--linas