common accounts for el_GR

Reinke Bonte reinke.bonte at web.de
Thu May 22 17:20:55 CDT 2003

It's a bit off topic, but wouldn't it be a good idea to store the data
at least in the correct encoding in the XML file. It should be UTF-8 or
an encoding which is named in the head. At the moment all non Latin-1
data is forced to Latin-1 and then translated into HTML-entities. This
ensures that the file can only be opened under the same encoding,
because then this strange procedure is reversed.

I had tried to fix this, but my C knowledge is very limited. Somehow
libxml1 does not behave as I expect it to and I couldn't get gnucash
work with libxml2, which fixes the internationalization problems of
libxml1. Once gnucash uses libxml2, it is a very easy fix, one just need
to convert all char variables to UTF-8 before casting them XMLchar.

Repairing this would be great help for everyone who works in more than
one encoding. I have to filter the XML file through a recode shell
script which imitates the GNUcash conversion procedure each time I want
to work in another encoding.

Reinke