Compiling 1.8.3 on Solaris 8

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu May 22 14:44:10 CDT 2003

Charles Gagnon <charlesg at unixrealm.com> writes:

> >From my gettext-0.11.5 install:
>     /usr/local/lib/libintl.a
>     /usr/local/lib/libintl.la
>     /usr/local/lib/libintl.so
>     /usr/local/lib/libintl.so.2
>     /usr/local/lib/libintl.so.2.2.0

Right, the configure script is finding that you have gnu gettext
installed, but it can't link against it.. That's why you get the
error.  There are two tests, and if one passes and the other fails is
puts you into a bogus configuration state.

[snip]
> configure:3915: checking for GNU gettext in libintl
> configure:3939: gcc -o conftest -g -O2  -I/usr/local/include -L/usr/local/lib -R/usr/local/lib conftest.c  /usr/local/lib/libintl.a -R/usr/local/lib -liconv -lc 1>&5
> /var/tmp/cctIRkSV.o: In function `main':
> /usr/local/src/gnucash-1.8.3/configure:3935: undefined reference to `_nl_domain_bindings'
> /usr/local/src/gnucash-1.8.3/configure:3935: undefined reference to `_nl_domain_bindings'
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Ok, this is what I was getting... What you should do is run:

        nm /usr/local/lib/libintl.a | grep nl_domain_bindings

And then use the CPPFLAGS=-D_nl_domain_bindings=XXX  (where XXX is the
GLOBal definition you found in libintl.a