On Periods, Reports, and Cash v. Accrual Accounting

Dan Means dkmeans at srsconsulting.net
Fri May 23 22:59:16 CDT 2003

Sorry -- thout I hit "reply all"...my bad...

Just for reference, I'm coming at this from a slightly different angle
-- I've been selling, modifying and supporting commercial accounting
applications in that 5 - 20 user "space" the big guys ignore for more
years than I should admit......

But the whole "cash vs. accrual" and "date driven" deal is where most of
the real people who use these systems get totally lost. The explanation
of cash vs. accrual was excellent.

It's extremely common in my world, that the folks who operate accounting
systems, are generally not accountants....so this whole transaction /
posting date did I close yet? stuff is the bane of my world -- they just
don't get it.

So, at worst there might be 2 dates -- record the date that somebody
really recorded the transaction which may or not be equal to the
"posting" date -- the date the transaction really occured. (Audit trail
don't ya know -- how'd this entry get here?)....then the reporting
engine can sort out what's a "closed" year etc.

--
Dan Means
SRS Consulting, Inc.