Graphs in Gnumeric, usable for Gnucash too?

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Fri May 30 17:55:09 CDT 2003

Jody Goldberg schrieb:
> On Fri, May 30, 2003 at 12:21:35PM +0200, Christian Stimming wrote:
>>The resurrected graph support in Gnumeric looks quite nice. You stated
>>in your comment on the website that it was impossible to get Guppi grow
>>mature enough to use it for that task. Instead, you created your own
>>"clone" of the essential parts of Guppi and other libraries, and used
>>that inside Gnumeric. My question is: Is your work in any way usable
>>from other applications?
>
> 1) The new code is going to be in a distinct module as part of
>    libgoffice.  It will pull in parts of gnumeric.  The goal is to
>    have a library for all of us to share some of our common
>    features.
>
> 2) gnumeric/src/cut-n-paste/goffice
> 3) The main usages are somewhat scattered
>     src/graph.[hc]		: supplies the gnumeric specific
> 				  implementations of the data interfaces.
>     src/sheet-object-graph.[hc]: The visible wrapper for the graph.
> 				  The entire sheetobject framework
> 				  with some tidying is likely to
> 				  move into goffice.
>     src/selection.c		: There is a routine in there to do
> 				  the data allocation.  Probably not
> 				  interesting to you.
>
>     plugins/excel/ms-chart.c	: The basic wrapper to create charts
> 				  from an xls stream.

Ok. Now I have found the code. Do you also have a place where the
sheet-object-graph is used, as an example?

 From gnucash, we loved to use the libguppitank interface in guppi3.
There, each barchart/ piechart/ scatter plot was defined by a number of
arguments passed by a GtkArg list, which were defined in the
guppi_object_pie_class, and all the putting together with axis, legends
and lines was fully done inside libguppitank. I.e., in gnucash we didn't
have to care about axes, legends, scaling etc. at all. This went very
smoothly. I was wondering whether it is possible in principle to copy
the code from guppi3/libguppitank into that new goffice/graph library...
any spontaneous ideas on how difficult that would be?

Christian