Menu item "Gtk-CRITICAL" messages

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Sat May 31 13:15:43 CDT 2003

Jon Lapham <lapham at extracta.com.br> writes:

> Okay, sure, good idea.  Trying it now... works perfectly, no more
> warning messages.  So, in this specific case, I simply changed the
> gnucash pt_BR.po to use "_Visualizar" as a translation for "_View"
> (instead of _Ver or _Veja).

Right.

> But, I am trying to come up with a process for doing this
> systematically.  How would I *know* (if you hadn't told me) that the
> problem lies with the menu item "_View"?

Your process had determined this already...  See below!  I was just
pointing out how to easily fix the problem once you discovered what
menu item was causing problems.  You can directly determine that the
"_View" menu is causing the problem based on what you determined here:

> The backtrace I put in my previous email:
>
>  > #5  0x407292e5 in gnc_mdi_tweak_menus (mc=0x825adb0) at
> gnc-mdi-utils.c:574
>  > #6  0x40729d13 in gnc_mdi_child_changed_cb (mdi=0x8266fd8,
> prev_child=0x0,
>  >      data=0x8265fd8) at gnc-mdi-utils.c:861
>
> refers to line 574 of gnc-mdi-utils.c which refers to
>
>  > widget = gnc_mdi_child_find_menu_item(mc, "_View/_Toolbar");
>
> "_View/_Toolbar" doesn't exist anywhere in gnucash/po/gnucash.pot

The slash is a menu separator..  This implies "_View" -> "_Toolbar"!
So, this is how you discover that it's the "_View" menu that is being
affected (and the "_Toolbar" submenu).

So, by getting this far it is showing you exactly what menu is having
problems.