Translation problems; possible solution

Eneko Lacunza listas at enlar.net
Thu Oct 23 22:22:37 CDT 2003

Hi,

El jue, 23 de 10 de 2003 a las 10:58, Christian Stimming escribió:
> >>we could afterwards change the labels "manually" from
> >>gnucash again, this time using prefix_gettext(). I.e.
> >>   GladeXML *xml = gnc_glade_xml_new ("register.glade",
> >>			"Some Register Widget");
> >>   GtkWidget *dialog = glade_xml_get_widget (xml, "The widget window");
> >>   GtkWidget *some_label = glade_xml_get_widget (xml, "some_label");
> >>   gtk_label_set_text (GTK_LABEL (some_label), Q_("new file|New"));
> >>   gtk_widget_show_all (dialog);
> > This will produce unsupportable code.  I, as a developer, expect that
> > the strings put into a glade file are what will appear (translated) on
> > the screen when a user runs the program.  I do not expect to have to go
> > looking in a C source code file to double check and see if the glade
> > string has been overwritten by a C string.  Your time would be better
> > spent fixing glade/libglade to use prefix_gettext so that all projects
> > could benefit from the change, not just gnucash.
> Well, if the developers here don't want this then we won't do this. I'll
> see how the libglade developer thinks about such a change in libglade,
> but in libglade this surely would only happen in their gnome2 branch and
> of course propagating a libglade update into the distros will take ages.

	As a (not GnuCash) programmer and GnuCash translator I think that we
should look for a good technical solution for the future. I really think
programmers should not overwrite glade strings for this reason, so we
should try to team up with other proyects, if necessary, and try two
things:

	1. A fix/feature in libglade (glade_set_gettext_tagging_overlay() or
whatever)

	2. A fix in getext (something like above)

	I think maybe 2nd is more difficult, but glade should be easier because
of serious HIG and i18n/i10n efforts in GNOME.

Saludos
--
Eneko Lacunza
JID:enlar at jabber.sk