Double-entry explanation

Matthew Vanecek mevanecek at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 1 09:32:24 CDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-09-01 at 07:52, Jon Lapham wrote:
> I was reading through Chapter 2 of the GnuCash Concepts Guide,
> specifically section "2.2.2 Double Entry", in which we define and give
> an example of double entry accounting.
>
> see:
> http://www.gnucash.org/docs/v1.8/C/gnucash-guide/basics_entry1.html#basics_dbentry2
>
> I think the inclusion of the split transaction example (the paycheck) is
> a little too much to chew for a new user this early in the Concepts
> Guide.  I like the other examples that involve 2 accounts (buying
> groceries and the simple income example)... but I think that a split
> transaction is something most new users need some time to understand.
> And, in this section, I think we are really just trying to get people to
> grasp the concept of double entry.
>
> So, I propose to remove the split transaction example.  Comments?
> Objections?
>
> I think we should still *reference* the fact that you can do multiple
> account transactions, and give a link to a later part of the
> documentation that explains split transactions in more detail (chapter 4).

I think it should start with the simple, then show the 2-account trans
in a split view, then migrate to the paycheck example.  I have seen
questions before on "how do I enter split transactions?" from people
used to doing so on Quicken or Money, etc.  Perhaps subdividing the
section into subsections or something would make it easier to navigate.

--
Matthew Vanecek