Budgeting - Let's decide what we want!

Stewart V. Wright svwright+lists at amtp.liv.ac.uk
Mon Sep 1 16:06:00 CDT 2003

> amounts, etc.  Not the only way to do it, of course, just a suggestion
> and what I thought would be easiest to implement.  I certainly am
> interested in seeing what you have, though, and I'm *certain* we'll all
> appreciate any working implementation!! ;)
>
> I know I will!
> (Thank God someone is actually going to spew forth code on this)

I don't want to put a dampener on this, but I think a clearer focus on
what is to be done is a better approach than for someone to go out and
start coding what they would like to see.

Code is a "Good Thing(TM)" but there are still two different camps at
least.  Those who want to plan for 'X' dollars to buy a new truck and
those who want to be able to say "OK, 10% of this months income goes
into the Truck Purchasing section of my budget".  I put myself in the
last category.  Then of course there is the "I get 'Y' dollars per
year so I am going to plan my budget for 12 months" camp (which is a
splinter of the last group).

I might sit down over the next couple of days (i.e. when I get some
free time), make some clear groups and post my interpretation.

Then perhaps a poll might be an idea...  Although that might cloud the
issue a bit.

Also, I'd like to suggest, where possible, to keep this sort of
discussion on the -users list.  I guess that most, if not all the
-devel subscribers are on -users, but some of these comments are
"what I want", which doesn't seem to be -devel.  Of course that just
my opinion.

Ah, the joy of not knowing where we are going.  :-)

S.

--
European Citizens: Please do a little work to convince the European
Parliament to reject software patents. This page explains the issue