Double-entry explanation

Jon Lapham lapham at extracta.com.br
Mon Sep 1 14:13:15 CDT 2003

Tim Wunder wrote:
> On Monday 01 September 2003 10:05 am, someone claiming to be Jon Lapham wrote:
>
>>Tim Wunder wrote:
>>
>>>As long as the reference uses the correct chapter/section whatever.
>>>Currently, the page says "You enter a transaction with multiple
>>>splits, which we will cover in section 4.3." Section 4.3 is "Choosing
>>> a Register Style",
>>
>>I think we should definitely use the correct reference.  :)  In fact, I
>>wish I knew how to put a link there, so you could just click and go
>>immediately to the reference...
>>
> I guess you mean  within the docs themselves and not the webified docs...

Ideally, both.

> ... to a virgin GnuCash user, aren't two account transactions
> multi-account transactions, multi being more than 1. The more I think about
> it, the more I like the use of just "Simple Transaction/Complex (Split)
> Transaction."

Ugh, "Multi" is bad.  I see what you mean now.

Okay, I'm convinced.  Let's go back to a modified version of your
original idea:

Simple Transaction (2 accounts)
Split Transaction (3 or more accounts)

...this has the advantage that we always use the familiar GnuCash
terminology (split transaction) but it is clear to a new user what we
mean b/c we explicitly state (2 accounts) and (3 or more accounts).

Sound good?

--
  Jon Lapham  <lapham at extracta.com.br>          Rio de Janeiro, Brasil