Double-entry explanation

Tripp Lilley tripp+gnucash-devel at perspex.com
Mon Sep 1 15:25:19 CDT 2003

On Mon, 1 Sep 2003, Jon Lapham wrote:

> Okay, I'm convinced.  Let's go back to a modified version of your
> original idea:
>
> Simple Transaction (2 accounts)
> Split Transaction (3 or more accounts)
>
> ...this has the advantage that we always use the familiar GnuCash
> terminology (split transaction) but it is clear to a new user what we
> mean b/c we explicitly state (2 accounts) and (3 or more accounts).

Not to throw a wrench into things, but I'd like to point out that one can
have a split transaction that happens entirely within a single account:

	http://perspex.com/hacks/gnucash/misc/single-account-split.png

While this isn't terribly likely to happen, it -is- somewhat likely that
one would have a split with one line coming from a single account (say,
cash), and a few lines coming from another single account (say, expenses)
detailing line items.

Now, I know, most often, a split is going to be three accounts or more,
because the split would most likely be recording, e.g., individual items
in different expense accounts, and sales tax in its own expense account,
and so forth.

I just wanted to point out, though, that referring to these as "2 account"
and "3 or more account" transactions implies certain restrictions that
aren't there in fact...

(FYI, I'm not doing this to be pedantic, but that doesn't mean the end
result isn't me being pedantic :( ).