Double-entry explanation

Jon Lapham lapham at extracta.com.br
Mon Sep 1 16:46:11 CDT 2003

Tim Wunder wrote:
> So...
> Are we back to
> Simple Transaction
> Complex (Split) Transaction
> and just leaving off any reference to the number of accounts involved?

Ahhhhhh...... kerplung.  (or, whatever the sound is of someone jumping
from a tall bridge into the river below).

:)

"3 or more accounts" refers to the number of accounts involved in the
transaction, I do not see how this requires that they are different
accounts.  I think we are still fine.

There are always better ways to describe things, but often that requires
longer explanations.  At some point we have to put a title on the
section and move on, we can be *very* clear what we mean in the body
text.  Another complication, for example, is that you can enter a "split
transaction" with only 2 accounts, so is it wrong to not mention this in
the title of the simple transaction?

So, let's vote on the following two proposals for the section titles:

Simple Transaction (2 accounts)
Split Transaction (3 or more accounts)

or

Simple Transaction Which May or May Not Involve the Split Transaction
Mechanism but Must Only Involve 2 Accounts

Transaction Involving More that Two Accounts In Which May or May Not be
Different Accounts but Will Always Involve the Split Transaction Mechanism

--
  Jon Lapham  <lapham at extracta.com.br>          Rio de Janeiro, Brasil