Printing Check Stubs

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Sep 3 11:11:56 CDT 2003

Josh Chessman <gnucash at chessman.net> writes:

> Hi All-
>
> I was wondering if there are any plans to add the ability to fill in the stubs
> on checks to GnuCash?  We are using it for our business and it would be
> really handy to have.  I've looked at the code but my Scheme programming
> skills are somewhere around zero and I don't know where to begin.

print-check.scm would be the general place to begin..  One problem is
that the UI does not provide a simple means to add new "check types"
and doesn't have knowledge of stubs.

However, you could add a new type to the gui (unfortunately you need
to add it in a couple of places :( ) and add stubs to that check type.
The scheme is just controlling postscript commands, so you'd just need
to add a few lines to print the stub items:

(if print-stubs
  (begin
    ... print stub info here ...
  ))

I'll note that the whole check-printing infrastructure needs to be
re-done (or at least re-worked).  You're welcome to take on that whole
task if you wish, at which point you are welcome to reduce the
dependency on scheme.

HOWEVER, I would caution you that scheme it EXTREMELY useful in
defining the various check formats -- it would just be more useful if
you didn't have to change three files to add a new type.

> Thanks!

Good Luck,