General Architecture and MOAP

Benoit Grégoire bock at step.polymtl.ca
Wed Sep 3 11:25:16 CDT 2003

On Monday 25 August 2003 16:22, James Dailey wrote:
> GnuCash Developers -
>
> Please see the following URL
> (http://moap.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/twiki/bin/view/Moap/GnuCashArchitec
> ture) for a basic architectural diagram of GnuCash - I have based it on
> ya'alls descriptions, and would like to get it right - please comment to
> me.

Sorry about the delay, we are fresh off a release and somewhat out of breath.

Here are my unsorted and quick observations about
http://www.tech.gfusa.org/images/MOAP/GnuCashArcht.png.  Someone else correct
me if I a wrong:

-There is no XML between the GUI and the engine
-To my knowledge none of the HBCI code is in the engine.
-There is an abstraction level, the backend, between the engine and SQL, XML,
RPC, etc.

We really should create one big logical diagram of GnuCash in an easy to
maintain format.  A perhaps even more usefull diagram would be a diagram of
Gnucash's hi level data model.  So many things to do, too little time...

> Here's why:  We (http://moap.sourceforge.net/) are interested in
> leveraging the GNUCash codebase to create a banking application for
> micro credit (see http://www.gfusa.org for one example).  Micro credit
> is a movement to bring financial services to the world's poorest - in
> villages around the world over 30 million families have been served.
> Moap is an effort to create an open source BANKING application that is
> suited to microfinancial services - see our Wiki site for general use
> cases and reporting formats.  We're in the planning stages. Mainly, we
> expect to create a Portfolio system that ties to an accounting system.
>
> If possible, I would like to have a couple people from MOAP and a few
> from GnuCash discuss on a separate thread (MOAP discussion list?) the
> level of modularity and flexbility of the APIs so that we can be sure
> that our decisions around J2EE/Java/XML would make sense in the
> GnuArchitecture.  Again, I refer you to a general diagram at
> http://moap.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/twiki/bin/view/Moap/GnuCashArchitect
> ure.

From http://www.tech.gfusa.org/images/MOAP/GnuCashArcht+MOAP.png I don't
understand exactly where we fit into your model.  On that diagram (I probably
don't understand properly) you have both your own GUI and your own datastore.
What is it you want to leverage GnuCash for?  The GUI, the data model, the
data store?  It's not very clear to me.

I presume what us want is to leverage the engine (and thus the data model.  Is
that so?

--
Benoit Grégoire
http://step.polymtl.ca/~bock/