GNUCASH PROJECT

Benoit Grégoire bock at step.polymtl.ca
Wed Sep 3 12:06:20 CDT 2003

On Sunday 17 August 2003 18:21, you wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I´m a Bayesian guy with some interests in finance and so.
>
> I´ve some experience with commercial packages for Accounting, Finance and
> ERP, including Balanced Scoreboard.
>
> My research project includes Data Mining and Data Warehousing. Also, I´m
> teaching graduate courses on uncertainty and prediction of future cash
> flow.
>
> What king of help could I provide to your project?

First I must apologize for taking so long in replying to your generous offer
for help.  My mailbox was completely swamped with emails about my article.

It's hard to answer your question precisely.  The current lively debate
(http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnome.apps.gnucash.user/8148) on
gnucash-devel and gnucash-user mailing list on how to implement budgeting may
be of some interest to you.  The Query Object Framework may also interest you
http://qof.sourceforge.net/.  Perhaps the sql backend rewrite as well,
however, it's not data mining research level stuff...

> I believe that a tool like yours should run under Windows in spite of my
> personal dislike with paid software. Are you thinking about a multiplatform
> versio? If so, how can I help?

Technically most of the libraries ad API's used in GnuCash should be available
on windows.  There has been some discussion of a windows port, but no one has
started actual work.  Tough the core developers can't spend time on the
actual implementation, I think there would be interest in actively supporting
such a project, since it would lead to a nice spring cleaning effect in the
API, and would help achieving an even better GUI separation in GnuCash.

Most of the GUI is GTK/Glade, which is available on windows, there will off
course be some area needing rewrite because they use gnome functions.
Printing among others come to mind.  I don't know if there would be major
issues with g-wrap on windows.  In any event, the windows port would be a
major undertaking.

> Please, let me know your demands, I promise to contact my friends in
> Argentina, where I do live, in order to help you.

I should have published the specific list of project we need help with by now,
but for the reason listed above I haven't had time to complete it yet.  I
kept your name and address and will notify you as soon as it is released.
Several of those items may be good student projects.

If I may be of any assistance, feel free to write back, you should get a much
faster reply this time.
--
Benoit Grégoire
http://step.polymtl.ca/~bock/