Budgeting prototype

Darin Willits darin at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Sep 3 19:09:55 CDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-09-03 at 11:03, Stewart V. Wright wrote:

> Another point or two of clarification:  (For this I am using [B] to
> specify a budget category, as apposed to a regular account)
>  * Would I be able to link Expenses:Dining and Expenses:Groceries to
>    the same [B]Expenses:Food category?
>    I guess so, from figure 5 on your page.
>  * Will I be able to see all the transactions for a particular budget
>    category?

Maybe another window could handle this.  Some sort of customised account
register with transactions for a period for all the accounts in that
catagory.  A right click menu option could bring up this register for
the selected category.  Come to think of it this might go hand in hand
with the suggestion for a planned/actual view of the budgeting
information.  If you see that you were over budget in a certain category
for a period you could bring up this window to see the transactions
which contributed to that situation.

Question is, is this something that should be done by the workbench or
in a report somewhere?  Maybe both?

> Nice job.  What did you use to produce the windows for the
> screen shots?

I actually used glade and built them into the gnucash application.
Doing the prototype served two purposes.  Refine/Test my ideas and learn
a bit about the design of the current code base.

Cheers,

Darin