The continuing saga of profiling GnuCash

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Sep 4 11:52:06 CDT 2003

Andreas Rottmann <a.rottmann at gmx.at> writes:

> > Does this imply we need to add EVERY gncmod* filename (well, SONAME)
> > to LD_PROFILE?
> >
> I haven't found anything on the LD_PROFILE semantics; I've personally
> reached the conclusion that compile-time profiling is too muc of a
> hazzle. I'm looking into oprofile[0] now, maybe that is more convinient
> once set up...

Well, I did look up the semantics -- you can only profile one library
using LD_PROFILE.  Sucks, huh?  As for oprofile, well you can't use it on
Red Hat, and on laptops it interferes with power management.

I'm thinking that valgrind --skin=cachegrind[0] + kcachegrind[1] might
be the best solution.  Granted I haven't actually TRIED it yet...

-derek

[0] http://developer.kde.org/~sewardj/docs-1.9.5/cg_main.html
[1] http://kcachegrind.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/show.cgi