Commitment to gnome2 port

Jon Lapham lapham at extracta.com.br
Thu Sep 4 13:10:45 CDT 2003

This is in response to Derek's comments on my "UTF" thread.  I made a
new thread because I don't want to mix the issues of the temporary UTF-8
fix and the long term gnome2 port fix.

Derek Atkins wrote:
 > What we need is more help on the g2 port to "solve this for good".

Yes, that is the best solution.  No doubt.

If the main developers would come out and say, "we are 100% committed to
the next major release including the gnome2 port", I'm sure more people
would work on it.  Yes, I understand that this is a volunteer community,
and we have no control over what people work on, but I think this is a
special case.

Let me explain my situation:

There is a *really* annoying, simple, problem in the "tip of the day"
dialog.  The text uses carriage returns ("\n"s in the po files) instead
of using text wrapping.  It should use text wrapping.  This is a simple
project for someone like me to work on, someone who wants to learn GUI
programming.  However, I don't want to learn gnome1, because that is a
dead-end technology.  And, I've been dissuaded from doing it in gnome2,
because my work may not be usable until possibly 2 major releases from
now (ie: years).  How many others are in the same boat I am?  How many
potential developers do we lose because of this issue?

And, If I start hacking away on something stupidly simple like the tip
of the day dialog, who knows what might happen?  Maybe I will become a
major contributor to the gnome2 port?  Who knows... but in our current
state we will never know.

--
  Jon Lapham  <lapham at extracta.com.br>          Rio de Janeiro, Brasil