Budgeting prototype

Matthew Vanecek mevanecek at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 4 20:04:48 CDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-09-04 at 18:44, Matthew Vanecek wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-09-04 at 09:28, David Ayers wrote:
> > Are we not confusing budgeting as commonly understood with financial
> > simulation? I submit that potential purchases do not affect a budget.

I *do* see a need for profiling possible scenarios, and how a future
purchase will affect my budgetary needs.  For example, when considering
a new house purchase, I need to know 1) what is a reasonable goal for
saving a down payment, 2) How will my budget need to change to reach
that goal (because, well, my income sure ain't going up!), and 3) how
will the projected future house payments (and cessation of saving for
DP) affect my financial expactations?  These are all valid reasons for
how potential purchases affect your budget, and why you need a way to
profile the different scenarios.

An operating budget, however, like you say below, should experience
minimal changes (well, unless your income source changes
catastrophically or dramatically).

--
Matthew Vanecek