gnucash volunteer items for benoit

Linas Vepstas linas at linas.org
Wed Sep 10 00:19:39 CDT 2003

Benoit:

reviewed your list of gnucash needs.  Here's a very partial, incomplete
response, based on recent irc chat w/ warlord hamptom me2v:

Gnucash needs:

Tech support:  people willing to hang out on mailing list,
answer questions, help file bug reports for valid-soudning
complaints (aka "tier 1 tech support"), and genreally be polite and
supportive about usage qustions and howto questions

Bug Triage (aka "tier 2 tech support"): people who review bugzilla,
sort it organize it, get rid of the crap, fill in the missing details,
rank the bugs by importance/severity.
You called it 'quality assurance' in your doc but that's the
wrong title for that job.

terminiology: the core gnucash developers are called 'tier 3 tech support'

We need a project manager: someone who can ask the developers what
the most important projects are, write them up in a few sentances
or two, and post them on a web page. Then periodically gather status
as to whose doing it, and if they're done.

a smidgen of programming projects:

-- faster file loading
-- faster register drawing (X11 expose->query)
-- fix register window in gnome2 port
-- add business objects to period closing
-- "accrual v. cash" reporting.  explain what this is ...
-- port the gnotime embedded guile thing to gnucash :-)

-- add the businss objects to the period-closing code

technically hard but maybe quick ?? projects:

-- fix the gnucash main() so that libefence can be used with it
-- fix gnucash main() so that it can be profiled

Hard projects:
-- finish modularizing gnucash

big projects:
-- budgeting

Benoit, the sched xactions code has a to-do list in it.
Some of the other tech docs have to-do lists in them
e.g. I update lots.txt and books.txt regularly; they have lists
of to-do items

--linas