Concept Guide filenames

Jon Lapham lapham at extracta.com.br
Wed Sep 10 06:21:10 CDT 2003

Currently, the GnuCash Concept Guide is composed of XML files named like
chapter1.xml, chapter2.xml, etc.  The chapter number is actually defined
within the XML markup contained within the file, not by the name of the
file.  This "use chapter number in file name" leads to some pain when
rearranging, adding, removing chapters.

I am proposing to rename them using the "section name consistent" [1]
nomenclature:

chapter1.xml -> chapter_oview.xml
chapter2.xml -> chapter_basics.xml
chapter14.xml -> chapter_bus_pay.xml

Advantages: No need to rename many files when rearranging, adding,
removing chapters.  Easier to find the chapter you want to edit (ie: if
you want to work on the depreciation chapter, you edit chapter_dep.xml
instead of chapter11.xml).

Disadvantages: None?  I guess the chapters won't show up in order when
you "ls" the folder?

Possible variation: Could strip off the word "chapter", ie: use
"oview.xml" instead of "chapter_oview.xml".

Possible variation: s/chapter/ch/, ie: use "ch_oview.xml" instead of
"chapter_oview.xml".

So, wadda ya think?   Note, this has no affect on the final product.
The Concept Guide will still display "Chapter 1: Overview" for chapter
1, for example.

[1] "section consistent nomenclature" means that all the sections within
a chapter already use a consistent prefix.  All chapter1 section ids
begin with "oview".

--
  Jon Lapham  <lapham at extracta.com.br>          Rio de Janeiro, Brasil