mini-ANNOUNCE: Cap Gains more-or-less done in CVS HEAD

Linas Vepstas linas at linas.org
Mon Sep 22 23:53:57 CDT 2003

Code to automatically compute and handle capital gains on stock
accounts is more-or-less done, in the CVS HEAD branch.  There's
a simple GUI called "View Lots" .  If you bring that up, and then
"Scrub Account", it will automatically compute cap gains for
all stock purchases/sales.  If you edit prices, dates, amounts,
values, etc. in the register window, the cap gains will be
automatically kept in sync, i.e. should always be 'correct'.

Sometime after the gnome2 port, the 'Lot Viewer' GUI will get
a minor extension to allow one to manually construct lots (so that
one can have 'designated' trading lots).  The current default
uses a FIFO policy to figure out the cap gains.

To try out this feature, you will have to get the CVS code
and compile it yourself.  Remember, this code is still beta:
it may be buggy (although I think I fixed them all), and is subject
to change before the final version.

--linas