SQL HOWTO

Linas Vepstas linas at linas.org
Wed Sep 24 00:06:37 CDT 2003

On Tue, Sep 23, 2003 at 02:26:07PM -0300, Jon Lapham was heard to remark:
> Where were you for the WEEKS of discussion that went on about this!

I missed the one click or two conversation

> >OK, but no one has done that yet.
>
> No one has done that!  I hope you are joking.  I have spend a great deal
> of time incorporating a wide range of scattered docs into the official

I was refering to the web presentation, and not to what you have been
doing.  I know you've done an immense amount of work to update/write
the documentation, and I'd like to really thank you for that.

I was refering to the web page, not to the documentation.

> > p.s. I moved and modified docs.phtml so it adheres to the style of the
> > rest of the site.
>
> Which entails what?

I just thought I'd point it out, in case you or someone else wondered
why it moved.  I needed to move it so it could get translated.

> I think you are wrong.  But, fine, your opinion.

About what? the one click versus multiple clicks question?

Laying out a web site is *not* the same as writing documentation.
The presentation style is very different.  Websites are fundamentally
hyperlinked, documentation almost never is.  The navigation strategies
are fundamentally different.  The way people use a web site is different
than the way they use documentation, because they are trying to
accomplish different things.

Note that websites and documentation might contain the same, if not
similar data.  Its just organized differently.  There is nothing wrong
with that.

> I will be happy to add the links back to the main page.  I thought I was

Leave them as they are for now. It works.

Try to think of the SQL link as a bit of advertising.  For a little
while, it will get exposure far beyond its importance. And then, when
it gets boring, we'll put it back in its place.

> You have really pissed me off.  Goodbye.

!!  You were the one who threw the rock.  Now your mad ?

--linas