Roadmap to GnuCash 1.10/2.0

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Fri Sep 26 22:16:45 CDT 2003

On Donnerstag, 25. September 2003 17:56, Linas Vepstas wrote:
> Roadmap to GnuCash 1.10/2.0

Thanks for kicking off such a discussion.

> Plan A: Version 1.10 is ready now.
> ----------------------------------
> The code in the cvs tree has support for book closing and cap gains.
> It might have some bugs in it, but no one is testing.  If we ship
> a 1.10-pre0 maybe someone will actually try it.
>
> Plan B: Add support for business objects to book closing, then ship 1.10
> If the gnome2 port is ready in about the month/two that it'll take
> to add bus obj to book closing, then go to plan C:
>
> Plan C: Wait for gnome2 port, ship 2.0
> --------------------------------------
> Like the title says.  Maybe by then, someone will write the auto test
> cases??
>

> Since putting out a new release requires a coordinated effort by many
> people, I am *not* going to force the issue.  This has to be a
> collective decision.  As a group, we can choose A,B or C.

Announcing a new stable release series will probably require 6-8 weeks of
preparations anyway, including at least one or two pre-1.10 packages probably
called 1.9.[123]. But nevertheless we have to decide when to set a feature
freeze for an upcoming stable series, which is just the decision between
plans A and B. The decision is not between release dates but rather between
feature freeze dates. (The 6-8 week period between feature freeze and release
is necessary for general testing and especially for translations.) So I'd
think a feature freeze right now doesn't really fit in the current
developments. I mean, if Linas is really keen on coding right now, then I'd
rather let him continue, and would propose a feature freeze in a time frame
where plan B can be completed. That would probably be end of November for a
1.10 feature freeze, which means the actual 1.10 could come out in
mid-January 2004.

Alternatively, if the gnome2 port (Plan C) is really about to be finished soon
(on my machine compilation still stops because of missing ghttp.h -- did I
miss something?), then we can try to reach a gnome feature freeze in November
or December, with a longer testing period so that an actual 2.0 release can
be completed some time in February or March.

I have no idea about the effort still necessary for gnome2, and I have
absolutely zero time to spend on coding the upcoming months (wedding on Oct
11th). So obviously other people here have to decide between plan B and C :-)

Thanks for pointing out these possibilities, Linas, and also thanks for your
apology about the project management issues. But in any case GnuCash got
really really far with the current team, and that's a great thing.

Have fun,

Christian