Developing Gnucash as a user

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Apr 6 15:44:33 EDT 2004

Neil Williams <linux at codehelp.co.uk> writes:

> The devel wiki advises removing Gnucash before compiling from CVS but I need
> Gnucash for business purposes (and I need it to carry on working on a daily
> basis) - is there a problem with compiling a test Gnucash into a user /
> customised directory that won't affect the main Gnucash program? The only
> other machine I've got to do this is this laptop, which can be a little flaky
> at times.

Two versions of gnucash cannot co-exist if one of them is in a default
load-path.  You CAN have multiple versions installed, but BOTH must
use opt-style installs.  For example, I've got:

/opt/gnucash-1.8/...
/opt/gnucash-cvs/...
/opt/gnucash-g2/...

So, just build 1.8 and use that for your main data, and then build
HEAD or g2 and use that for development.  Note that we suggest that
all UI development be done in g2, but non-UI development can be done
in HEAD.