Merging two GNCBook* objects

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Apr 14 11:20:10 EDT 2004

linas at linas.org (Linas Vepstas) writes:

> On Fri, Apr 09, 2004 at 02:12:54PM -0400, Derek Atkins was heard to remark:
>> Neil Williams <linux at codehelp.co.uk> writes:
>>
>> If the GUID matches it's the always same semantic object, regardless
>> of whether other data fields are changed.
>
> I having been toying with the idea of always adding a version
> number as a mandatory part of all objects, so that if you have
> two objects with the same guid, then you know which one is the more
> recent one.

I've been leaning towards a UTC timestamp instead of a version number.
Should do the same thing effectively, but lets you make multiple
changes without increasing the "version number" multiple times.  I
also think the backend should control the timestamp, not the
engine/cache.  The version/timestamp can be "modified" in the cache
during the commit_edit() phase.