first draft of a merge rule set

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Apr 14 12:14:42 EDT 2004

linas at linas.org (Linas Vepstas) writes:

> yeah, I guess ... that's OK. I dunno. maybe not.   But a good baseline
> would be purely automated algo like so:

But wait, there are multiple questions that need to be answered.

1) Is this semantically the same object?  For example, does this
   Account* and that Account* point to (semantically) the same
   "Account"?  I'm not convinced a distance vector is necessarily
   the correct measure.  Perhaps a weighted distance vector would
   be appropriate (but then again the weights would be per-object,
   a "parameter weight"?).

2) Do these semantically equivalent objects have the same or
   different data in them?  This is more a question to determine
   if you have any work to do once you determine that you've got
   a duplicate in the import queue.