Gnome Programming & App Development Theory & Practice

Linas Vepstas linas at linas.org
Mon Apr 19 02:15:00 EDT 2004

On Mon, Apr 19, 2004 at 12:24:13AM -0400, Havoc Pennington was heard to remark:
> Hi,
>
> Reading quickly, it seems like GNOME Storage
> (http://www.gnome.org/~seth/storage/) is thinking along similar lines,
> in particular making all documents/data richly queryable and multiuser.
> It does not have apps go straight to SQL though, it requires the data to
> follow an XML-style conceptual organization (tree of nodes with
> attributes on each node).

Hmm,
I'm more interested in helping programmers write applications
by providing a simple way to map objects (such as GObjects)
to the GUI above them, and the DB (if any) below.

But yes, there's potential overlap with libstorage & espcially
with the idea that "Storage objects are "alive", not inert buffers"
which is more or less what I'm shooting for.  I'll see if I can
dial up seth and compare notes.

--linas