Importing and exporting revisited

blfs blfs at comcast.net
Sun Aug 1 22:35:52 EDT 2004

OK, the code is apparently well documented and certainly some work went into
this.

There is one point I am absolutely certain about.  Any
program named Gnucash should be able to communicate
with a spreadsheet program.

So the question becomes why is it so hard to import
and export a check register?  Are there similar problems
with importing and exporting Customer lists, vendor
lists, bills and invoices, etc, etc?

I don't claim to be an expert, but I have a pretty good
understanding of programming and accounting.  I also
have a good understanding of what is important in a
business environment as relates to an accounting program.

The most important document is the check.  And
the check is a very simple document.

Also you can have a balanced GL that is completely
meaningless.  Not only is this possible but it is
extremely easy to have a meaningless balanced GL.

If there is a problem, the first step is to make sure the
data in the computer matches the data in real life.

This is why it is so important to be able to extract
data from the accounting program and import it into
a program like gnumeric.  The user must be able to look
at the check data just as the cancelled checks are returned from the bank.
And further the user must be
able to conduct queries on this data.

It is important that the data in the computer matches
the real life documents in such a manner that the user
can easily understand and correlate.