gnome2 graphing status

Josh Sled jsled at asynchronous.org
Fri Aug 13 11:53:46 EDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-08-13 at 11:28, Chris Lyttle wrote:

> Does this mean we're actually beginning to discuss a possible timeframe
> for a release of gnucash-gnome2? If the dev's believe they are getting
> closer to a point when the can actually say 'yeah we could aim for a
> certain date depending on these things being solved' then I would have
> some incentive to begin working on updating the docs for gnucash-g2.

I don't feel like we're at that point; I would think that a gnome2 port
is at least 4-6 months away, given the current level of effort. :/

> I am, however, in agreement with Christian here. Dropping some features
> in order to get the port out the door would be a good thing imho. There
> will be, of course, a set of features that cannot be dropped without
> seriously setting back GnuCash, but perhaps now is the time to start
> looking at what those features are and realistically what we could leave
> on the floor to be reintroduced at a future release?

Yes, I'd agree with that, as well.  It would certainly be more
desireable to get GOG-without-interactivity out sooner rather than
accepting a delay to wait for a more featureful GOG ...

Presently, though, we do need to block at least until GOG [plus
libgoffice, it seems] is factored-out from gnumeric [in the
Sept/gnumeric-1.4 timeframe].

Given however long it will take to resolve the other issues, the world
might be in a very different place regarding GOG features.

After report/graphing, it sounds like the biggest single open issue
remaining is the set of register UI issues.   At the same time,
reviewing GNOME2_STATUS ... there are still a lot of miscellaneous open
issues throughout the project ...  menu items missing, features mostly
working, &c.  Hopefully it won't be the death of a thousand papercuts
... but we do need steady, app-wide progress to get them resolved.

...jsled