patches and double druids

Neil Williams linux at codehelp.co.uk
Wed Dec 1 14:02:52 EST 2004

On Wednesday 01 December 2004 3:43 am, you wrote:
> Neil Williams <linux at codehelp.co.uk> writes:
> > Don't worry about it, the double druid bug has disappeared from my system
> > too. I was missing nautilus and apt-get install nautilus solved the
> > problem.
>
> ???  Isn't there an actual bug in the code?  How did nautilus "solve
> the problem"?

I'd assume it was to do with bad window manager config - missing config.
Without nautilus, Gnome tried to use Konqueror for normal file system
browsing so maybe handling the dual druid windows without nautilus caused
some incompatibility with konq in Gnome. I'll try to make sure.

> > File -> Import -> GnuCash file
> > File -> Import -> QSF data
> > File -> Export -> QSF
>
> I think we'd also want "File -> Export -> Gnucash XML" for when we
> (finally) move to SQLite.

Fine.

> > As QSF is a file backend and I can reliably distinguish between QSF files
> > and GnuCash XML v1 /v2 files (using schema validation in libxml2), are
> > there particular problems with adding QSF as another backend/file option?
> > Would it simply be a case of adapting gnc_is_our_xml_file() to attempt to
> > validate the file against both QSF schemas and then load the QSF
> > functions instead of sixtp? The QSF validation wouldn't need the const
> > char *first_tag, just the filename and a default for the the name and
> > location of the schemas. (The schema validation is a more rigorous test
> > than currently used for GnuCash XML files.) I'll have to look at how
> > GnuCash uses the environment to find external files too. Some QSF files
> > will need to go in install_dir/share/qsf and some in ~/.gnucash.
>
> I'm not convinced that schema validation would work for gnucash files.

I wouldn't use it for those. It would be one of the tests - try to validate
the file against each QSF schema then fallback to the existing GnuCash tests
(probably in the reverse order though, use the existing tests first, then if
those fail, try to validate to determine if it's QSF.)

> I do think that "File -> Open" should have some logic to detect what
> kind of file is being opened so it can switch between the "gnucash
> binary", "gnucash xml 1", "gnucash xml 2", "gnucash qsf", and "gnucash
> sqlite" file formats.  How this happens I dont know, yet, but if you
> find a good relatively generic method I'd go for it.

OK.

--

Neil Williams