libxml dependency status

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Sat Dec 4 18:16:03 EST 2004

Neil Williams <linux at codehelp.co.uk> writes:

> What's the minimum libxml version for the g2 branch?

For the g2 branch, libxml-2.x.  We don't quite have minimal versions
per se, but basically "Gnome-2.4, Gtk-2.2" -- whatever is shipped with
FC1.  That would be libxml2-2.5.11.

> I ask because the schema validation that I want for QSF appears to require
> libxml2 and CVS HEAD depends on libxml 1.8.3, current GnuCash release 1.8.9-3
> requires libxml1 (>= 1:1.8.14-3).

CVS HEAD is still gnome-1.4.  If you mean g2, you want the g2 branch,
not HEAD.

> backend/file already has config to use libxml2 if available.

Yea, but it doesn't work properly in HEAD.  It's been fixed in the g2
branch.

> Is there a problem with making QSF and therefore QOF and GnuCash libxml2
> dependent?

Yes and no.  It's a problem with HEAD, but g2 already has the change.

> Is QSF (which I'm hoping to have ready about the end of Jan 05) likely to
> coincide with g2 or would going to libxml2 before g2 is ready cause problems
> elsewhere?

The latter.  Hopefully the g2 port will complete soon enough and then
it wont be an issue.