QOF Book Merge design issues

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Sat Dec 4 20:30:32 EST 2004

Neil,

In my quick attempt to debug the book merge test, I started taking
a closer look into the book merge code.  I see a major (critical)
design issue:  you've got static variables holding the merge state!
BAD idea.

You really need to have a "merge context" that gets created when you
initialize the merge process and contains all the state of the merge.
Otherwise, what happens if the user initiates two merge processes at
the same time?  Your current code will blow up if the user does that.

Just my $2.02, but you really need to pass around your context instead
of making it a static.