The GnuCash core

Josh Sled jsled at asynchronous.org
Mon Dec 6 14:56:19 EST 2004

On Mon, 2004-12-06 at 14:42, Derek Atkins wrote:

> for personal use I really don't see the average user being able to
> install, conifigure, _AND SECURE_ a web server in order to run a
> "personal finance manager".

An embedded webserver makes a lot of that go away ...

But I'm not sure if that's what Paul's after.

> Having said that (see, I'm trying not to be insulting ;) you could
> write another interface around the gnucash API.  You'd in effect need
> to re-implement all the UI pieces of gnucash, but you could do it.  I
> don't know how hard it would be, nor how much time it would take, or
> even what the integration would look like.  But anything is possible,
> it's just a SMoP (Simple Matter of Programming).

Paul, one thing to note is that a lot of the "generic" application logic
is built in the UI layer, very close to the UI pieces.  There's just a
lot of semantics there intertwingled with GTK button press-handling.

Very welcome would be a set of changes that helps seperate those two
things more cleanly: it'd not only help with other UI-frontends [Qt,
console, &c.], but would generally improve the internal organization of
gnucash.

...jsled