questions about plugging a palm conduit into Gnucash

Philip Lowman philip at yhbt.com
Wed Dec 8 06:28:29 EST 2004

Over the last several months I've become something of a devoted Gnucash
user so much so that I'm tracking cash expenditures including Sales Tax
these days[!].

Anyways, I am getting sick of asking for a receipt for every cash
purchase I make and I'd like to write a palm application which allows me
to enter new transactions into an Account which are then synchronized
with Gnucash when I Hotsync.  I'm fairly certain I can write the Palm
app to facilitate this however I'm not too certain about the glue
between Gnucash and the Palm databases.

I have investigated OFX and rejected the idea of constructing OFX from
the handheld data because it doesn't handle splits (which I would like
to support in the application).  I am just wondering if Gnucash has any
kind of consistent plugin interface which will never change?  I am
considering interfacing with the core gnucash libraries by writing my
own code which calls the Gnucash libraries to add transactions and so
forth since it seems the easiest way to do this.  I guess I'm just
worried about having to make changes and recompile my app when things
are changed in Gnucash itself between releases.

Also some pointers would be helpful.  Essentially I want my conduit to
open a gnucash file and simply add transactions and splits to it and
close the file.  Are there any problems or pitfalls that anyone can
think of in doing this?

--
Philip Lowman