saving budgets

Neil Williams linux at codehelp.co.uk
Fri Dec 24 14:17:24 EST 2004

On Friday 24 December 2004 12:12 pm, Chris Shoemaker wrote:
> The current budget design seems to assume that created budgets will
> live with the accounts.  (There's no mechanism for saving or
> retrieving budgets from files.)  This makes sense since a budget seems
> pretty strictly dependent on the account heirarchy.
>
> So, if no one else is working on it, I'm considering trying to store
> the budget in the same place that the accounts are stored.  (I haven't
> looked into the details, yet.)  Any comments?

When my QSF code becomes usable, you'll be able to export any QOF-defined
object into XML with or without any combination of other objects. This will
allow budgets to be sensibly split from one QofBook and merged back into
another QofBook using a system of defaults, conversions and lookups.

If you make all the budget objects compatible with QOF, all the GnuCash
backends will become available, including the future format of SQLlite /
database backend.

The current XML storage of Account requires an AccountGroup - only entities
that are children of the root AccountGroup are written to the current GnuCash
file backend. This may not suit your design.

If budgets are not going to be ready for a release version until the Gnome2
port is complete, you won't need to worry about storage - make all budget
objects fully QOF compliant and let QOF deal with the storage.

I'm reasonably confident that QSF will be ready early next year - it requires
libxml2 >= v2.5.2 so it needs to go into the Gnome2 port -  the GnuCash 1.8
tree and current CVS HEAD generate errors when asked to work with libxml2
code.

http://code.neil.williamsleesmill.me.uk/qsf.html

--

Neil Williams