qof_book_get_guid deprecated?

Neil Williams linux at codehelp.co.uk
Fri Dec 31 07:41:37 EST 2004

1. Is there a replacement for qof_book_get_guid to be used by QofBackend
instead?

Is it just deprecated for non-Backend uses (not that I can think of any)?

(I'm using it for QSF so that an exported XML file can contain a GUID for the
original book.)

2. As QSF supports partial books, (by using references), if a user selects a
range of transactions, or a range of accounts including transactions between
dates, or all invoices for a customer over x months, etc., this can be passed
to the QofBackend via a second QofSession and the data will be written out
without the need for any hierarchies or AccountGroups or other components of
a full QofBook in GnuCash. (via the clipboard?).

Should the QSF file then use the ORIGINAL QofBook for the GUID of the book
written into the QSF file? All the objects themselves will retain the same
GUID as the original book (which will make it easy to merge the partial book
back into the original). The temporary QofBook in the second session will
only live as long as the export is in progress but I can use that GUID if
that would be better. (i.e. versions, time delays, multiple QSF files with
the same book-guid, . . )

Is the export an independent book or a derivative?

If it's a derivative, I can add some code to the QSF importer that makes it
smoother to merge the partial QSF data back into the full book, as necessary
- a simple schema validation + book GUID comparison, then to qof_book_merge.

Every QSF import will go via qof_book_merge to provide user intervention and
collision handling.

--

Neil Williams