gcc4 compile fixes in bugzilla.gnome #162582

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Fri Dec 31 09:48:06 EST 2004

John Ellson <ellson at research.att.com> writes:

>>Perhaps there's a gcc4-specific compiler option to turn off those
>>warnings that are new-in-gcc4?
>>

> Perhaps, but ignoring the warnings is no better than hiding them with
> casts, imho.

Perhaps.  However the code has shown to work with all previous gcc
versions so I'm not too worried about it.  :)

> The same warning did catch another problem, the use of gint instead of
> guint.
>  In my opinion, the real problem is the multiple flavors of char
> (char/gchar/xmlChar)
> for the same thing: a code for a character, where the codes are not
> intrinsically signed or unsigned;
> they are just 8bit values use to differentiate one character from another.

Agreed.  Is there perhaps a macro MAKE_XMLCHAR() that libxml provides
to transcode/cast a standard string to an xmlChar*?  I think it's
really a bug in libxml that you cannot pass a standard string into its
api.