gnc_plugins

Chris Shoemaker c.shoemaker at cox.net
Fri Dec 31 12:36:49 EST 2004

I noticed that there are (at least) two ways that GncPlugins are added
to the GncPluginManager:
  1) in gnc_gui_init() in top-level.c: gnc_plugin_manager_add_plugin
is called explictly.  (with a comment about removing this usage)
  2) sometime before gnc_gui_init() is called, several other plugins
are added, e.g. stylesheets.  I'm not really sure how, but I think it
comes from scheme-land, e.g. perhaps: (load-module
"gnucash/report/stylesheets" 0 #f) ?  (which also has a comment about
eventually making modules loaded automatically instead of statically)

So, what's the right way of adding plugins to the plugin manager.
Keep in mind I'm considering a plugin that doesn't (currently) have
any scm component.

And, while I'm asking about gui stuff... what about gncPlugins
vs. gnc_menu_extenstion_ stuff?  All the Reports menu stuff uses
gnc_menu_extensions and no gncPlugin at all.

There are so many menuing APIs in use, it makes my head spin (or is
that the egg nog?)  Can't we all just use the same one?  :-)

What shall it be?

-chris