gnc_plugins

David Hampton hampton at employees.org
Fri Dec 31 14:05:48 EST 2004

On Fri, 2004-12-31 at 13:21 -0500, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Chris Shoemaker <c.shoemaker at cox.net> writes:
>
> > I noticed that there are (at least) two ways that GncPlugins are added
> > to the GncPluginManager:
> >   1) in gnc_gui_init() in top-level.c: gnc_plugin_manager_add_plugin
> > is called explictly.  (with a comment about removing this usage)
> >   2) sometime before gnc_gui_init() is called, several other plugins
> > are added, e.g. stylesheets.  I'm not really sure how, but I think it
> > comes from scheme-land, e.g. perhaps: (load-module
> > "gnucash/report/stylesheets" 0 #f) ?  (which also has a comment about
> > eventually making modules loaded automatically instead of statically)
> >
> > So, what's the right way of adding plugins to the plugin manager.
> > Keep in mind I'm considering a plugin that doesn't (currently) have
> > any scm component.

There's a fair number of sections of gnucash that are initialized from
scheme land.  This is a holdover from the direction of an earlier group
of developers.  If you code is structured as a module, the best place to
call the plugin manager is from the module init routine.

> > And, while I'm asking about gui stuff... what about gncPlugins
> > vs. gnc_menu_extenstion_ stuff?  All the Reports menu stuff uses
> > gnc_menu_extensions and no gncPlugin at all.
>
> gncPlugin is a new-in-g2 api; the gnc_menu_extension is the older
> interface.  There's no reason to use one vs. the other as far as I
> know.

gncPlugin creates menu items that exist in all top level windows.
gncPluginPage creates menus that apply only to a particular page within
a window.  Using the plugins (and underlying action objects) its easier
to enable/disable menu/toolbar items that it is with the
gnc_menu_extension interface.

David