gnc_plugins

Chris Shoemaker c.shoemaker at cox.net
Fri Dec 31 15:08:54 EST 2004

On Fri, Dec 31, 2004 at 02:32:56PM -0500, David Hampton wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-12-31 at 14:18 -0500, Chris Shoemaker wrote:
>
> > If I understand correctly, you're saying the plugin's init function
> > should add itself to the plugin manager.
>
> The module's init function should install the plugin into the manager.
> When that menu item is invoked, the callback function should use the
> gncPluginPage stuff to create a display area and assocuated menu items.

Oh, so you're saying you meant what you said, huh?  :) I didn't
understand you because I hadn't looked closely at modules.  There are
no modules under /src/gnome/, where I've been studying lately.

> > AFAICS, no plugin works that
> > way now.  But, I could try changing that.
>
> I thought there were a bunch, but its been a year since I worked heavily
> in this code so I could be wrong.  You can check hbci for an example
> though.  The hbci module init function calls
> gnc_plugin_hbci_create_plugin which calls gnc_plugin_manager_add_plugin
> to add its menu items to the main window.

You're right, there are a bunch.  That example was helpful.

> > > gncPlugin creates menu items that exist in all top level windows.
> > > gncPluginPage creates menus that apply only to a particular page within
> > > a window.  Using the plugins (and underlying action objects) its easier
> > > to enable/disable menu/toolbar items that it is with the
> > > gnc_menu_extension interface.

What about gnc_component_manager?  Did gncPluginManager spring up from
gnc_component_manager?

-chris