GnuCash page on GO site

msevior at physics.unimelb.edu.au msevior at physics.unimelb.edu.au
Mon Feb 23 05:13:17 CST 2004

> On Mon, 2004-02-23 at 03:29, Linas Vepstas wrote:
>> Gnucash desperately needs better graphing infrastructure.
>
> Welcome aboard!

>> > Good idea.
>>
>> Note that reports mean different things to different people, and
>> that as a technology, its a *HUGE* bundle of requirements.
>
> Perhaps it is worth formally documenting them somewhere.  From your
> descriptions (template-editable-in-word-processor and
> database-fields-pulled-together) I don't see any reason it cannot be
> accomplished well.  I might even help code to such a project.

AbiWord certainly has the capability to do all this right now. I can show
you how to construct documents that use libgda to pull in content from
whatever data source you want for programmable fields laid out in tables.

Doing this in AbiWord has the extra benefit that users can fiddle with it
afterward, export them to lots of different formats, cut and paste them
into other documents, etc etc.

You could do this as either an embedded bonobo control or as a pop-up
spawned process. There benefits/drawbacks both ways.

I actually have a much smaller requirement for my own home-grown little
accounts/budgeting program. I'll use AbiWord to show how far each budget
catergory is ahead or behind it's projected value.

Cheers

Martin