GnuCash page on GO site

Linas Vepstas linas at linas.org
Wed Feb 25 23:37:42 CST 2004

On Mon, Feb 23, 2004 at 10:39:15AM +0000, Charles Goodwin was heard to remark:
> I'm sure they wouldn't be against any help or feedback.

I've been speaking to the gnomedb folks on and off for many years now.
We don't get much accomplished.

> Also, it is well maintained as part of the gnome-db project.  By your
> own admission, qof is no where near as active.  Sometimes, especially

Sorry, I meant to say dui/dwi, not qof.  qof is a spin-off of some
of the core gnucash components, mostly because I wanted to use
them in another project.

http://dwi.sourceforge.net is the object framework I'm planning
on using for the future gnucash core engine.

> with limited resources, you have to sacrifice pride and go with
> something more pragmatic even if you have a small quarrel with it's
> methodology.

I'll be direct here, rather than political.  Doing the wrong thing
for the sake of expediency or pragmatism is still doing the wrong
thing.   In life, one must be careful about these things.  I've taken
the pragmatic path far too often in my life and have regretted
each such decision.

Note also, its not a small quarrel, its a big deal.  There have been
N-way arguments over this (gnue,  treshna/bond, dwi/dui) for many
years now.  We all get together and commiserate every now and then.

Not to sink into bogus methaphor, but ... libgda is a bicycle
and what I'm trying to build with a qof/dwi/gnucash smashup is
an atom smasher.   Its a fundamentally different set of technologies
with different goals and different means.

--linas