GnuCash page on GO site

Linas Vepstas linas at linas.org
Thu Feb 26 00:02:21 CST 2004

On Mon, Feb 23, 2004 at 03:04:05PM +0000, Calum Benson was heard to remark:
> On Mon, 2004-02-23 at 03:05, Linas Vepstas wrote:
>
> > (To be specific: I want a ctree-type widget where I can color
> > different rows different colors. But this violates the UI guidelines).
>
> Hrmm... can you refresh my memory as to which guidelines this violates,
> in case we need to reconsider them?

Sorry, at best I have dim recollections of discumbobulated emails
a few years back ...

> I would have thought a tree with
> different coloured rows would be acceptable, provided that:
>
> - colour wasn't the only differentiator between the rows (unless the
> colours had been applied by the user, rather than by the application),

In my particular need (I cannot speak in generality on this),
I want to have a list of items, on say, a neutral background,
and some of the items on the list are in (for example) green,
to indicate that they're 'in progress' and going well, and some
others in red, indicating that an alarm has gone off, and need
attention now.  Flashing red even.

Think of that proverbial action/sci-fi/spaceship/nuclear reactor
flick, where they're being fired upon and they're hit and going down,
and there's a shot of the cockpit, these lists go from peaceful blue
to alert yellow to flashing red, while the claxons sound and smoke
comes pouring out ...  Well, I need something like that, but in
gtk/gnome ctree widget.  Specifically for gttr.sourceforge.net

> - all such colours were taken from the theme and/or some user-definable
> palette.

Sure. Execpt themes don't usually have "ok/warning/emergency" colors
defined, I might be wrong ...

--linas