GnuCash page on GO site

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Feb 26 07:59:39 CST 2004

linas at linas.org (Linas Vepstas) writes:

>> Sure.  Merging best of breed toys into goffice would be a help.
>> I suspect that overtime it may make sense to migrate towards some of
>> the goffice data types to avoid having to map in and out, but that
>
> I'm not sure what you refer to when you say "data types".
> If you mean using things like gconf, then yes, we should do that.
> Our current way of dealing with user defaults & etc. is homebrew
> and I see nothing wrong with moving to things like gconf type
> infraastructure. (right derek?)

Yes and no.  As you say, we have something that mostly works, so I'd
be hesitant to spend any precious resources on moving to something
else.  OTOH I would have no objection to moving option storage from
our ad-hack[sic] mechanism to gconf, but keep in mind that some
options are stored in the data file, too (because they are data
preferences, not user options).  So the UI needs the flexibility to
store options in either place.

> But the actual financial data ... ugh.  We are disatisfied with
> the xml file format for a variety of reasons.  Its bloated, its slow,
> it can't be extended or modified easily, Derek will happily tell you
> everything wrong about it.  And then we have SQL... which is worse.

I don't think SQL is worse per se -- our implemention might be.  I'm
definitely keen on moving to an all-SQL database choice, either an
embedded DB as the "file" replacement, or PG for larger sites.  This
is a high priority for me.  (If only I had the time).