libgncmod-engine and libgw-engine circular dependency -- on cygwin

Milind Kamble mbkads at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 29 09:22:16 CST 2004

Hi.
  I have managed to get to a point where I can start
compiling gnucash on cygwin -- having statisfied the
necessary dependencies off gnome-1.4, guile-1.6.4,
slib-2d6, g-wrap-1.3.4 etc.
  The problem I am having is there seems to be a
circular dependency between libgncmod-engine.la and
libgw-engine.la. I am sure it must be something wrong
in my analysis, otherwise this should have been
detected way earlier. So, I am hoping that a fresh
pair of eyes will be able to point out what is wrong.
Here is the description:
As per the src/engine/Makefile.am,
libgncmod_engine_la_LIBADD indicates that
libgncmod-engine.la depends on libgw-engine.la.
However libgncmod_engine_la_SOURCES includes guid.c.
So the function guid_new_return is provided by
libgncmod-engine.dll.la (on cygwin). But when
libgw-engine.la is getting linked (to satisfy the
dependency of libgncmod-engine.la), it fails with
"undefined reference to _guid_new_return" which is
referenced by src/engine/gw-engine.c (line 1637).
Thus libgw-engine.la depends on libgncmod-engine.la

I have attached the make output for this particular
snippet for further details -- if that helps.

Thanks.
Milind