Just How Big is GnuCash, Really?

Linas Vepstas linas at linas.org
Sat Jul 17 00:49:02 EDT 2004

Just for fun, I made a graph of the number of lines of code
in GnuCash, as a function of time.

http://www.gnucash.org/en/sizing.phtml

If you've had trouble swimming through that mass of source code,
think of it this way: printed out on paper, and bound into volumes,
it would amount to several dozen copies of Tolstoy's "War and Peace",
roughly a bookshelf-width's worth of source code.

Mind you, this is source code (and docs) crafted and debugged by
actual humans, this is *not* autogenerated code.  Tools (such as
glade or g-wrap) can generate gazillions of lines of code
automatically; I'm not counting those.  Every last line counted
here was typed in, edited, indented, tweaked, debugged, refactored,
multiple times, by human hands.

Given that we have about 400 outstanding bugs in bugzilla, that
works out to about one bug per thousand lines of code, or one bug
per 50 pages of printout.  This bug count is actually not atypical
for software projects; its near the norm.

Using the "COCOMO" sizing model, very crudely, this amounts to
about 75 man-years of effort, and thus, assuming American salaries
and overhead costs, over 5 million dollars to develop.

--linas